Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Nonprofit Symposium


Isn't it amazing how great life can be when you are spending time with people who are really doing something, making a difference, adding value, leading change, being innovative, stepping up, taking risks, living with purpose, are actively involved in bettering themselves and in-so-doing, bettering the world! I love those types of people...that is the type I want to be.



Wednesday I got to attend The Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management 7th Annual Symposium for Nonprofit Professionals. The best part was that I got to be there with Kem and Lisa, from GCC.


Before the sessions began, we had breakfast at this little Norwegian place with really great fresh-squeezed Orange Juice, AKA vacation in a glass. I was more than honored to get to be there with Dawn Nicole Baldwin and Roland Jacobs of Aspire!One, and Tammy Kelly, Director of People Resources for Willow Creek.




I was inspired by the innovative ways Tammy is attracting, connecting, and organizing tens of thousands of volunteers at Willow. She taught me the importance of unlearning and how a lot of times, what we already know is standing in the way of what we want to learn.

In the 2nd session I learned about the Word of Mouth Revoluntion and got my business card drawn out of a fishbowl (I knew as soon as I dropped it in that I was the winner) and won the book "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell.

Dawn and Kem did GREAT in their session about The Internet as a Growth Engine for Faith-Based Organizations. I decided that our website here at work might possibly be one of the worst I have ever heard of. I would give you the link, but it is simply too embarrassing. Kem told me that having no website is better than having a bad one, so I will be including that in my next proposal to Major.

To finish the day we won the battle over Chicago rush-hour traffic, took a quick trip to The Container Store (where taking pictures is NOT ALLOWED) and met up with Ryan for a wonderful time enjoying pizza and conversation at Giordanos.

I like going to seminars instead of sitting at my desk :o)

2 comments:

Lanette Rajski said...

Hey Amber - I was really intrigued with what you learned about "unlearning" - can you give me any more info or where to look for that?

Thanks! I love reading your blog and keeping up with what's going on with you and ryan in Chicago!

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»