Friday, April 25, 2008

What does it take for you to have a bad day?

I'm generally optimistic, so for me, it usually takes a mighty combination of lots of things to get me down. I can handle two or three difficulties, but when lots of things start stacking up over a short period of time, that's when I get down. If I'm not doing good, I won't let you know it. I'd rather act like everything is fine...even if it's not. I'd rather have you believe that I'm doing great...even if it's far from great. I'd rather share all the good things and keep the bad things to myself.

So here it is. To be honest, this has been one of the most difficult seasons of my life. I won't bore you with the details, I'll just sum it up by saying that I've experienced trials over the last three months. Ryan and I are doing great - we just have to coordinate both of our work schedules in hopes of seeing one another every day. For us, this takes effort, planning, and determination.

All of that is to say that last Sunday I got slapped up-side-the head three times in a row - which is what it took for me to regain some perspective.

First of all, Jeff Manion's sermon called "Joy and Trouble" was directed at me. It was one of those times when you're sitting in a crowd of thousands, but you know that God is speaking directly to you through the pastor - has this happened to anyone else?

Jeff talked about the fact that we ARE going to experience trials, bad stuff is going to happen because we live in a fallen world. We will respond to the things that go wrong, the question is HOW. We have a CHOICE about how we respond to those trials.

Is it possible that I could be at my best when things are at their worst? What if the best version of me emerged while things were falling apart? I don't know about you, but this is what I want for me. I want to be the best version of me that I can be. SLAP!

Secondly, after church I got introduced to a lady named Susan who has been married to a physician at Spectrum for many years. They happened to meet while they were students at Hope College, and they happened to get married right before he started Med School and he happened to do his residency at Spectrum and they've been married for a long time and have a wonderful life. Needless to say, meeting someone who knows EXACTLY what I am going through right now is a really special thing...more special than I can express in words. I have literally been following her exact path for the last 5 years. She offered encouragement as someone who has "been there" and I can only hope that someday I will be able to offer that same kind of encouragement to someone else. Susan and I exchanged numbers and have been emailing this week. God knew just what I needed at just the right time. Meeting Susan was a gift to me this Sunday. SLAP!

Third, I decided to call my parents on the way home from church to tell them about my morning, about Jeff Manion's sermon and about meeting Susan. Dad told me that the weekend service at Granger really tied in with everything I was telling him. So I went home and listened to Rob Wegner's sermon about Viral Attitudes and fell out of my chair in amazement about how easily I forget that God can take better care of me than I can. SLAP!

  • If you've had a long string of bad days
  • If you feel trapped like you can't get out of a bad cycle
  • If you need a reminder that you are loved and that God has a plan for your life
  • Be encouraged - You can choose how you will respond to trials and you can choose JOY!
  • Be encouraged - God may be at work in your life in the middle of a crisis.
  • Be encouraged - The testing of your faith develops perseverance.
Listen to the service from Ada Bible HERE
Watch the service from Granger HERE

4 comments:

EB said...

amber-
if you ever need some company on one of those lonely nights, let me know! in many ways, i can really relate to what you've been going through with ryan in med school and residency. in our experience, at least, it DID get better as time went on! i still get lonesome sometimes, but having community around who "get it" really helps.

it's really refreshing that you're sharing "real amber" on your blog. we love bubbly happy optimistic amber (because that's a huge part of who you are!), but everyone has hard times- and sometimes just sharing something about what you're going through (even if you don't feel like posting out all the details) can help you feel like you're not alone. and when you share what you're learning through the tough times it really lifts everyone up. thanks for sharing!
love,
eb

Mindy said...

Hey Amber, I am happy that you're willing to share this side of yourself with your faithful readers! I am even happier that you were given the insight(s) you received just at the perfect time, with finding someone who can relate to your situation, as well as the sermon. Anyway, I know whatever trials you go through will make you a stronger person (and a stronger couple)!

Transplant said...

It makes me a little sad to know that you have been in a difficult season. But I'm glad for your openness.

Isn't it true that joy shared is multiplied, but pain shared is divided? At the very least, in your openness, you are less alone.

allison said...

oh amber, you are really an amazing person. thanks for sharing, i wish i had read this before this morning.