Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My mom and dad are home from Arizona! They went out there for 10 days to hang out and hike around with my Granny and Papaw. Dad had a great post on HIS BLOG today and I wanted to share it with you.

Several have asked about Sheila's parents.

"What do they look like?'
"How long have they been married?"

"How do her parents put up with you?"
"Why do you go see her folks every year?"

I'll say this about that.

I started dating Sheila when she was 15 and I was 16. Sheila's mother loved me (why she did, I can't fully grasp) so she has always made me feel valued. Sheila's father was the first to stand and speak when I was declaring my intent for ministry and needed someone from my local church to testify to the efficacy of my calling. At our wedding Sheila's dad entrusted his first-born daughter to me. Her parents were ready to help Sheila when each of our three children was born. They modeled a life of Christian devotion and piety. They loved our children and demanded the best from each of them. They helped me through my parent's divorce. They stood by me at the grave of my father.

They had my respect because of their role and they earned my respect because of their lives.

Here we are with John and Elly McNichols (the parents of my beloved bride, married 56 years and still together and serving Jesus) at the bottom of Canyon de Chelly near the White House Ruins.

I'm honored to carry their trust. I'm determined to live so they never regret giving their daughter to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post! Wonderfully inspiring and encouraging in these days of many broken dreams and promises in marriages. Your Dad is to be commended for his attitude and commitment to your Mom and her family (parents). I think his example is what Jesus would do (WJWD?). It gives me even more encouragement to continue faithfully in my own marriage (28 years in November!). Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful tribute to in laws...that is the way my mother loved and cherished my husband, till her dying day. she often told me if my in laws didn't treat me the way i had hoped then remember that when i am in that position. My prayer is that through stories like your dads, I can become the in law that my kids spouses will know that i fully love and that they can depend on me....your story gives me hope.

:o)

Amy, Goshen Indiana...a regular reader...i stumbled onto your blog by accident, but praise god to be "a part" of your blessed life. I love your honesty and realness...God bless!

jlwalw@ligtel.com