Friday, April 28, 2006

LOVE IS THE KILLER APP - TIM SANDERS


Kem Meyer told me to read this book...and I am so glad I did! This read is going to help me market myself better, ultimately be a better person and impact the world in bigger and better ways.

The following are a few of my favorite excerpts.

* Value-added: The value with you inside a situation is greater than the value without you.

* You are fun, you are interesting, you are valuable; you take people places they have never been beofre, you show them books they have never heard of, you introduce them to people they never dreamed they would meet-in short, you are the equivalent of a human theme park.

* The difference between ham and eggs. The chicken in involved, but the pig is committed.

* Bob Marley once sid that he was tormented by his inability to fix everything. Sometimes that's how we feel about out careers. we are tormented by our potential. It never seems realized. We sense we could be doing better. But when I am out being a lover, a one-man value lab, I am at ease. I am not tormented by my potential; I am motivated by it, I am excited by it, I know I am developing it better than I ever could in that old world, where my potential meant so little and my golf score meant so much.

* (On Networking) The more people you know and, specifically, the more people who have already had positive dealings with you, the more confidence you'll have as you spin your web out farther and farther.

* Just because we're at work doesn't mean we're not human; sometimes we need someone to touch us, to make us smile, to make us feel better about ourselves. According to Mother Teresa, the greatest disease in the West is not tuberculosis or leprosy; it is being unwanted, unloved, uncared for.

* Since people are basically utilitarian, they value others for their ability to fill these basic needs. When you do, you're providing a service no one else in business offers. You become the person who makes oth people feel good. It's as if you were selling a product worth a dollar, for a penny. In fact, your compassion makes others view you in a way that money can't buy. You are so money you don't even know it!

* The other day someone asked me, "Where do you get all your energy?" Without a pause I replied, "From the feedback I get from other people." It is my fuel. I live to create value in people's lives and I measure myself by their reactions. I'm a love merchant. I trade intangibles. I can trade that currency to infinity.

* But a smile equals a smile. It is highly likely that as we stop and share compassion with others, giving them all our ebullient energy, people will like us back. Sharing compassion is a contagious activity. You will experience more hugs that are exclusive to you. You will see more smiles than other people. You will be touched more. You will have more excellent experiences in a world where excellence is rare.

* By expressing your compassion, you create an experience that people remember. When people remember you, it's good for your business.

* Be constant. Stay focused. It's as though every time you touch people in business, you are running for president of their heart, and you've got to keep your campaign promises.

* Maybe they think that love isn't the killer app - ruthless gamesmanship is. But if you are sincere, at some point most people will break down ans realize it's not just about the business at hand, it's about love.

3 comments:

katie holt said...

amber, reading this, will change how i interact with everyone. i love that. so great! i appreciate you so much and you've already encouraged me to read a new book that i had never heard of. you are a human theme park, and a day with you is so much better than disneyland! i miss you. i want you to come visit!

Corey Mann said...

oh yeah! Read the book and pass along...it's catching on. I learned that from your dad. Spent the day talking with him about Camp! 2 weeks this summer-insane with a purpose.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»