Thursday, January 25, 2007

On Housewifing

Sometimes I get a little bit worried about my NATURAL ability to be a housewife. Today has been one of those days. To tell you the truth about me, I don't NATURALLY find cooking, cleaning, decorating, knitting and the like to be enjoyable. This could be due to the fact that I generally want to be really good at everything I do...I want to be the best at it, I want to set some kind of record and win some major award....which partially explains why, in other areas of my life so far, if I discover that I am not very good at something, I just find something else that I am better at that is more fun, and I do that instead.

The following are a few examples of times that I have tried, and miserably failed at being housewifely.

I have had many troubles while at the grocery, including looking for scallions in the seafood aisle and being unable to locate "oleo."

I tried to crochet a blanket once...but I didn't count, so it turned out looking like a tornado.

I kill plants. I just let them die, alone and unloved

And finally, Ryan has outlawed the crock pot...that's right folks, I didn't even do the crock pot right!

These mishaps proove that I am not NATURALLY housewifely. However...I am a wife, as you know, with a husband who likes to eat, and we have an apartment (which can be cleaned and decorated) so it is difficult for me to imagine escaping from these housewifely duties all around me.

If any naturally gifted housewifely people out there would like to offer advice on how to be housewifely if it doesn't come NATURALLY, I would be happy to take it.

5 comments:

Lanette Rajski said...

Hey Amber - Sometime when Ryan is studying all weekend you can come hang out with me and I'll teach you all kinds of housewifey stuff. I know how to make cleaning, organizing and even freezing meals a TON O'FUN! Don't ask about laundry though - there's nothing fun about that.

Sarah said...

Hi Amber - Don't worry about the housewife thing. I am pretty good at laundry and ironing, but that's about it. And I am okay with that. Be proud of yourself because you are great just the way you are. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Sista,
All I can say if I'm with you, I will say even though I don't enjoy it all anymore then you, I am getting batter at doing it, at least that's what John says! lol! love ya! maybe on day when we have houses we will like it better! Love ya!
ANG

Anonymous said...

...a little google always does the trick: www.hillbillyhousewife.com....hahha There ya go.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amber. I'm not sure if the housewife thing comes natural to anyone. I enjoy baking, but does that make me a better wife? I don't think so. I think Ryan would rather have you be just as you are than a wonderful cook and cleaner without your great personality. Maybe someday if we ever live close, I can teach you a few easy meals, and you can teach me how to live life to the fullest.
Heidi Snyder