Monday, September 11, 2006

Mars Hill

Yesterday morning Ryan and I went to Mars Hill with our friends Joel & Faye from Hope. We were amazed to find such a huge gathering of beautiful young people gathering for worship and teaching in an empty mall. Yes, I said "beautiful" - I forgot about the good breeding of western michigan, and yes, I said "young" - mostly everyone I saw was under 40. I guess I could mention "tall" as well ... and "blonde" ... Okay, Dutch sums it up pretty well.

The stage was in the center of the room and the lighting was no more than typical lighting you would expect to find in a mall. Worship began with a reading that brought the reason we worship into focus and then Rob Bell, who truly is one of the most incredible teachers I have ever heard, taught about Exodus. This was not your typical sermon on Exodus, he challenged us to realize that we all have something we need rescued from, be it addiction, selfishness, etc. What is your Exodus? What Exodus needs to happen in your life?

He wrote the word "Exodus" with a Sharpie on a piece of cardboard and hung it beside him during the sermon. Nothing flashy, nothing complicated, just one word - Exodus

I liked it. I think we will go back next week :o)

No comments: