Friday, September 15, 2006

I got tricked into shopping!

A-Z Retail Tricks to Make You Shop...

Here's an excellent and fascinating list of the psychological tricks employed in shop architecture to make us spend more money:

Hopscotch – One American supermarket chain hit upon the idea of drawing a hopscotch in the aisle next to the children’s cereal in order to make the children play and thus pin Mom & Dad to a point where the children could hassle them for treats....

Order Of Price- Shops will often be laid out in order of price with the most expensive items being encountered at the beginning of your visit and the cheapest at the end. This is done to play on our sense of comparison, we are much more likely to spend money on accessories etc if we have just agreed to buy an expensive item, as in comparison they will seem cheaper than had we encountered them first...

Tiles – Supermarkets used to have a trick placing slightly smaller tiles on the floor in the more expensive aisles of the shop. When a customer entered on of these aisles their trolley would click faster making them think they were travelling faster and thereby subconsciously slow down and spend more time in that aisle.

Click here for a bunch more psychological tricks to watch out for next time you're at the grocery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALL of these tricks work on me. I am your basic shopping sucker I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber! I hope that married life is going good for you!

I uploaded a bunch of medias I created onto YouTube, and you are in a few, so I thought I would share:

http://www.youtube.com/xmaveric