Thursday, August 17, 2006

Killing of Problem Geese OK'd

According to THIS Associated Press article, a new rule went into effect last week which allows the killing of geese without a permit!

"The geese are attracted to mowed and fertilized grass, which is why they tend to gather at golf courses, airports and parks."

Click HERE for a list of methods to rid yourself of problem geese.

Throughout my life I have met many many people who are sick and tired of geese on their lawns. As a small child I remember watching my Papaw hootin'and hollerin' at the geese who seemed to always be on his grass at the lake. I know my father-in-law (who is known for keeping a meticulous manicured lawn) has attempted to scare them off of his lawn with a large plastic owl, a white wire fence between the water and the grass, letting Rudy the dog out whenever they come around, and even recruiting his own sons to run the geese off. Ryan and I spent our week vacation at the lake this summer, and Ryan was infuriated by the geese on a continual basis. We rarely completed an entire meal without the disruption of geese, slowly making thier way toward our lawn. Ryan (as if he had eyes in the back of his head) was able to sense them coming, and a few times we turned the boat around and went back to the dock because we were certain the geese had returned ... and we were right!

I am guessing THIS ARTICLE should make many of the world's geese-haters very happy.

No comments: