Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bicycle Safety

I had an emotional breakdown on the bike trail yesterday. I would like to think that I'm not one to do that sort of thing, but I simply couldn't help myself.

It all began in a Chicago rush-hour traffic jam, then was excalated when an inconsiderate car almost knocked me off of my bike, which shook me up quite a bit - I kept riding because it was gorgeous weather and I figured I would recover quick enough. However, riding while nervous and shakey is not a good idea, so 3 miles later I almost crashed into Ryan, which helped me decide that I was turning around. I didn't think I should push it by riding until I actually hurt myself or learned first hand why I wear a helmet, so I told Ryan that I was turning around.
Then, on my way back home I nearly biffed a squirrel ... which simply pushed me over the edge.
Luckily I made it, and stayed safely in my house for the remainder of the evening.

Read this article if you are a biker "How to Not Get Hit by Cars - Important Lessons in Bicycle Safety"

Read this article if you drive a car, "Advice to a Motorist - How To Pass a Cyclist"

No comments: