Monday, August 7, 2006

Friendly Advice

A few weeks ago my friend Michelle and I had a heart to heart while laying on the beach. We were talking about life, marriage, jobs, the future, and then we got on the topic of friendships. It took me two years in chicago to really make some great friends, and half of those have since moved away from chicago. This is such a transitional city, people are always moving here, staying for a year or two and then moving on. This realization came to me when I got an invitation to a "Stability Party" celebrating a friend living in the same apartment for two whole years.

None of this is an excuse ... because I know that in another year we will most likely be leaving the City as well. Inspite of this fact, I recently made a conscious decision to make some new friends. Michelle helped me realize that moving in a year is not a good reason to not make new friends. She is so smart. Ryan and I got involved with the 2x2 group at church for young / newly married couples. Then I started going with Michelle to the women's bible study on Wednesday nights. In just a few short weeks I have made quite a few new friends. The girls in Bible Study with me are so great and have been such an encouragement. Praying for people makes you love them. I am not wasting another day without making a new friend.

I am taking Michelle's Friendly Advice with me everytime we move in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle's advice is my life story! God has given me the most amazing friends, "along the way". Some only for a season or a few years at a time. How rich and blessed my life has been because of all of them and what I would have missed if I had decided not to get close to anyone becasue I wasn't going to live somewhere for very long. When leaving good friends we always say, "remember we'll catch up with you in heaven" and won't that be a party! Love U, MOMO

Anonymous said...

That Michelle. Where does she come up with this stuff? And how did I get so lucky to have such a daughter? Tell me if you know.

Anonymous said...

Hey amber - it's so true! Sometimes it's hard to make room in your life for new friends when you know your time together is short, but I've always been glad that I did. By the way...so glad to have met you and I hope we get to see more of each other throughout the year!
-Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle's Mom, What a blessing Michelle & Brian have been to Amber & Ryan. We thank the Lord for bringing them altogether! Amber's "other" Mom