Monday, March 27, 2006

Sun & Snow

This morning Ry Face took the earliest flight out of Midway to Colorado. I didn't realize he had booked the flight so early when we were hanging out in Michigan until 9:00 last night. Luckily, we made it back to Chicago in good time and got in almost 4 hours of sleep before I took him to the airport.
Our marriage is the coming together of two people who have opposite interests. I could spend weeks doing nothing but laying on the beach...and he will never tire of snow skiing. We have tried our best so far to accomodate eachother's basic needs for sun and snow (as you can see from the picture below). However, I was more than happy to let him go on this particular ski trip without me holding him back.

You see, I have never been a fan of winter. I did do ski-club in 8th grade, but two trips to Swiss Valley didn't really get me hooked on the sport. I remember sitting on the bus on the way to Swiss Valley one Wednesday night trying to figure out what in the world I was thinking when I signed up for ski-club. I decided that it wasn't for me on the day that I crashed into a bunch of really cool snow boarder guys who were in high school. They were sitting right in the middle of the hill I was trying to ski down. I tried to tell them to "LOOK OUT! Please look out, I am coming and I NEED YOU TO KNOW THAT I CANNOT STOP!!", but I guess they were too cool to get out of my way. So I creamed them.

After that I didn't go back to ski club.

Ryan's family likes winter sports. His parents took us to Breckinridge over Christmas Break...which was quite an experience for me. I was most afraid that we would all start at the top of some mountain and I would end up at the bottom miles away from everyone else. That is why they gave me a walkie-talkie. Because no one could be sure that I could stay on the path.

Ryan's dad tried to teach me how to turn. I only biffed really bad 9 or 10 times, so I was pretty proud of myself. On the 2nd day, I started getting a little over-zealous and decided to try weaving thru some trees...which did not turn out to be a good decision. Luckily both skiis popped off so I could roll down and out of the forrest where I found myself.

All in all it was a successful trip...we all came back alive.

I miss my Ryan terribly already. He just called to let me know that he landed and the flight was great. He will have a blast this week in Colorado. He is awesome at skiing, and the fact that he is doing something that has nothing to do with medicine, well, I think its healthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can just see you... alone... at the top (or bottom) of a mountain... with a walkie-talkie. This is very very funny to me! I like reading about the life and times of Amber Cox! And I like even more when she comes over for dinner....