Thursday, April 19, 2007

Swim for Shenica

Sometimes I look around and cannot be more thankful for this handfull of incredibly gifted, amazingly caring, inspiring and making a difference in the world group of friends that I have. I have introduced you to a couple of them in the last few months, and today I would like you to get to know Jessica.

Jess is a personal trainer by day, but by night she is a money-raising, child-sponsoring maniac. She has been garnering support and swimming laps to raise money for a little deaf girl that she met in Jamaica. When we were in college Jess and I had the opportunity to serve together during spring break at Caribbean Christian Center for the Deaf (CCCD) in Jamaica. This past month, Jess went back again as a leader on the trip and ran into Shenica, a little girl who she first met 6 years ago.

Click HERE to read her support letter

"What I’m looking for is a handful of people to challenge me, keep me accountable and prod me on ... and who are willing to donate 5 cents per lap (down/back = 1) swam in the month of April. For those of you who know me, you know my heart is more tuned to short sprint distances, so you don’t need to worry about any kind of mega Ironman mileage or anything! I’d love to receive your response (please don’t feel obligated, as this is just an opportunity I want to share with you…) by the end of the week so I can start tallying laps and funds. My goal is to raise enough money to sponsor Shenicia at CCCD for at least one year. Anybody in?"

I love that Jess is doing something that is HARD WORK to help a little girl who's life will never be the same. Rock on Jess! Rock On!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey!!! that's me!!! hahaha! That is so sweet of you, Ambs - THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thanks for being such an encouragement to me and an awesome advocate for this; you just made my night. I'm blessed to have friends like you :)