Sunday, January 27, 2008

Friendship Weekend

Whelp, I think I've done it. I think I've finally made a couple of friends. This weekend was by far the most encouraging weekend (in the friendship category of my life) that I have experienced since moving here last July.

On Friday I had lunch with my friend Shauna and her friend Darci - who happens to be a friend of my friend Heather who I met through my friend Faye which makes Darci and I pretty good friends even though we just met once for an hour. Isn't that great!?!

Then on Saturday night Ryan and I met our potential small group for the first time at the Chop House downtown. We walked in and found a table full of potential friends. We met a pastry chef, a bronze sculpture maker, a Mercedes dealer, a software developer, a coffee connoisseur, a teacher - and that was only some of the people in our eclectic group. By the end of our night, we had so many friends we hardly knew what to do.

After that we went to see Into the Wild with our friends Joel and Sarah (which was a great movie) at the cheap seats theater.

Then today I met a couple of the girls from our new small group at Starbucks for coffee and it was so awesome. I don't drink coffee - but that's what people do these days - they meet for coffee.

So I am home now (Ryan is working until 11 tonight) sitting here by myself in our apartment smiling my face off!

Yahoo!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

this post makes me smile a lot :) . we don't often realize what a gift Friendship Weekends are until we've gone a while without one! I'm so very glad you had one...

Tara said...

So happy for you! I had a similar experience today after church when it crossed my mind that I actually felt like I belonged there today. We are going to make it through this residency thingy.

heather said...

:)

Anonymous said...

that movie "into the wild" was mesmerizing.

and i'm not easily mesmerized.

Anonymous said...

Amber! I'm so happy for you! I know exactly how you feel...having it take forever to meet and make friends in a new place. It seems like as soon as I make them out here, they move away. Then it takes forever to make more and I start to wonder, "what in the world is wrong with me? Why can't I make any friends?" It's so encouraging to finally meet people you can connect with. Keep pressing on!
Heidi