Monday, October 20, 2008

Night Shift = angry arm shaking fist in air

Since October 1 Ryan has been working the night shift. He has been going to work at 7pm and getting home a little after 7am each day. I don't want to be a complaining resident's wife, but seriously, it has been the hardest two-weeks of schedule I can remeber in the last 4 years!


Here's what a typical day looked like for the last 2 weeks. I would wake up in the morning, get in the shower and hope that Ryan will get home early enough for me to see him before I go to work. He would get home, go to bed and sleep until I get home from work around 5:30 or 6pm to wake him up for dinner. His stomach was confused like he should be eating breakfast instead of lasagna, but its dinner time! We would eat, then he showers and goes back to work by 7pm.

We never made our bed for or two weeks because one of us was always in it!!

Praise the Lord Night Shift is over and Swing Shift begins - which means that for the next two weeks we can actually sleep in the same bed at the same time! He will go to work around 10am and work until 8pm...except tonight it's 9:30pm and he still isn't home because he had some late admissions he had to take care of.

I am so proud of Ry, he is working his tail off in residency right now and is doing an incredible job. For the sake of his sanity and mine...I can't wait for this rotation to be over!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My question is...do you really want Ryan in bed with you? He is known to be incredibly fidgety and reliant on non warm sheets and steady breathing.

Mindy said...

You make a great pair.. you're so supportive and loving while he is in this phase of his career. And kudos to Ryan for all his hard work! I can't imagine how stressed I'd be if Ron or I were in that situation!

amberWIRE said...

haha anonymous...it is true that I haven't had to change the warm sheets at midnight lately :o)

Angie said...

And I always thought the night float system sounded so wonderful. I guess you are living proof that it isn't all it is built up to be. I'm glad it is almost over for you guys! Ryan doesn't like warm sheets? I'm sure there is a great story to go with that.