Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hot Sheets

Some recent comments on a recent post have led me to believe that perhaps it's time for me to crack open the window and give you a peek into our marriage for just a sec.

Early in our marriage I learned very quickly that Ryan is very particular about many things. "Atmosphere" at restaurants, hotels, our home...and especially the bedroom is one of those things. There are certain conditions that must be in place for Ryan to sleep soundly and happily...and one of those conditions is crisp cold sheets. I discovered this in two ways:

  1. During med school when Ryan was staying up late to study for the board exams I would head to bed early to get some reading in before Ryan came to bed. The lamp was on his side of the bed, so of course, I just layed there are read for an hour or so. Ryan got into bed and was immediately aware of the fact that his side of the bed was warm (which it was) as if someone had been laying on it (which I had). Ryan went back out to study for another hour and nicely asked me to not warm up his side of the bed anymore.

  2. On another occasion, I was startled awake in the middle of the night by the sound of Ryan ramming and thrashing around, tugging at the sheets, throwing blankets on the floor, opening windows, closing vents, etc. You see, the sheets were too warm and Ryan was so uncomfortable that we literally got out of bed and changed the sheets so he could get back to sleep.
Marriage is hilarious. Ryan is hilarious. I love him.
Why the picture of the leaf blower, you ask? Well, because Ryan is really particular, which makes him really good at tasks like that!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being particular is a really Great quality when you're a Doc! Love you, MOMO

Sarah said...

This one made me laugh a lot. It reminds me so much of his brother. I tried to put flannel sheets on the bed last year and that about roasted Kyle. Don't try that one Ryan...won't work for sure. Love you!

Anonymous said...

hahah--perhaps guided relaxation with Ryan would work--something along the lines of...you are in a cold cold place, like a meat locker, things are cold, you smell ground beef, you want to grill it, this makes you sleepy.....

tim, brooke, teagan, and wyatt said...

Haha - thanks for giving us a peek into your marriage! :) Ryan and Tim have a lot in common I think! :)

Leticia said...

That's hilarious! I've never heard of such a funny quirk :) Thanks for sharing it! We STILL need to get together! How does November look for you guys?

Jill,Drew, Ella too... said...

That is hillarious - I think i spelled that wrong - you guys are great bloggers! Love it.

Flame Lilly said...

Thats so funny!!! Like your Momo said, thats a good quality in a DR!!! I HAVE to have cold pillows!! I can't sleep on a warm pillow!haha
Hope you're both doing well!!
S:)

Rochelle said...

Amber, This is SO funny! I laughed out loud. Isn't it funny how you keep discovering new things about each other? Drew wakes up in the middle of the night to turn his pillow over so that it will be cold! Gotta love them!