Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Joys of Home Call

This month Ryan is rotating through the newborn nursery, and instead of sleeping at the hospital when he is on call, he gets to be on "Home Call." I was so excited! Yippee!! Ryan will be at home with me! This is great news!


UNTIL the first night that he was on home call. I hadn't really thought about the fact that I wouldn't be getting any sleep either! His little pager went off pretty much every hour on the hour all night long! Ahhhh! I don't like home call. beep beep beep beep beep!!
Basically, he has to be available 24/7 so that if the nurses page him, he immediately calls them back to either answer their questions over the phone, or he could have to go into the hospital if something major happens.

So, this past weekend Ryan was on Home Call both Saturday and Sunday. He had to have 2 pagers, his phone, and all the notes on the babies and their moms on him at all times! We went on a walk, and this is what Ryan looked like.
Saturday night we went to church and had to sit in the back near the aisle so he could jet out the door if he got paged.
Sunday Ryan wanted to take a run, so while he ran, I rode my bike behind him carrying all of his gear like a pack mule.
Oh, the joys of home call.

3 comments:

katie holt said...

i love the pack mule image! is this when the squirrel incident happened??? i told a couple people at work today about the squirrel and one person actually cried she was laughing so hard. SO GREAT!

love you!

Pages In Time Forever said...

I am totally laughing my butt off right now at the idea of you riding around behind Ryan with his gear... HYS-terical!! Ahhh, the joys of being a doctor's wife, huh? ;)

Ruby A. Moyer said...

I too laughed out loud at the thought of you riding behind him...hilarious!!!