Wednesday, November 28, 2007

World Changer

So, you may or may not know that I love Bono. I know it's kinda cliche to say that - who doesn't love him...but seriously, I love him. I love world changers. Bono is a world changer. He has a heart for the most destitute poorest of the poor but can lead the most powerful richest of the rich to do something about it. I think it's a gift. I think he's trying everything he can think of to change the world...and THAT is highly inspiring.

Check out this article from the Washington Post

"It's the closing lines that struck me as a student and fan of America," the Irishman says of the Declaration of Independence and the founders, "which is we 'pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.' These people could have actually paid with their lives. It was an act of treason to sign it. Am I ready, a man who has stepped off a private jet a couple of days ago, to pledge my fortune? It doesn't look like it. My life? I hope not. But my sacred honor? I like to think I am."

"Why are people listening?" Bono says. "Because I actually believe in America and they know it and I'm not sure if they do sometimes. It is a little odd and eerie to have an Irish rock star recite the Declaration of Independence like it's a great poem, but it is a great poem. And that poetry is what's missing from political dialogue right now. And this country is parched, parched from the lack of such political lyrics, and I'm going in saying, 'This is who you are.' "

Read the article HERE

HT: Thunderstruck

1 comment:

Mindy said...

love it. he has been a real hero of mine too since i was a tween old enough to care about anything outside of my own tiny community. now it seems like such a "bandwagon" thing to be a big fan of bono, but there is no denying his influence and passion. i hope our generation jumps at the chance to make "ideals" become reality.