Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Erwin McManus

Some of you have been asking about why I loved Erwin McManus so much at the A2 Conference. Well, thank you Perry Noble for writing like a maniac and capturing some of Erwin's words!

There are more people on the planet today that need Christ than ever before, over 300 million in the US alone, with experts saying that the US will have 400 million by the year 2040, and our churches are concerned with “incremental growth?” No wonder we are having problems!

How are we going to reach people across the world when we won’t even change our style of music to reach our own kids?

The opposite of a “come as you are” church is a “don’t come at all” church!

Most of the time the people who have not met Christ are way more honest than those who have met Christ.

Many times if you lead the attack for the cause of Christ…the spears thrown at you will come from behind you.

It’s a tragic thing when Christianity exists without Christ.

The churches that look perfect–they’re dead!

Many churches have an “intimate” feel–but not in a good way. it’s sort of like when you walk in on someone making out…it’s intimate, but you just feel like you’re not supposed to be there.

3 comments:

katie holt said...

i love erwins teaching style! he's a phenominal teacher! when i first moved out here, i went to his church, Mosaic, in LA and it made me want to buy a different car...since you can't really drive around downtown LA in a jeep with the top down.

incredible.

Anonymous said...

Is Erwin implying that the traditional church is dead? Some old school denominations may be losing members and impact, but in my life I have been more profoundly impacted by the smaller conservative church than I have been by many megachurches I have gone to, some listed on the top fifty from a previous post. The body of christ is diverse, and we all need to reach out of our comfort zone and share the love of Christ to all around us. Just wanted to throw in my two cents..
Brad I.

amberWIRE said...

Brad, thanks for your two cents. I can't speak for Erwin, but I will say that I don't think it is the size of the church that matters. Smaller traditional churches can still be culturally relevant, and I agree completely that there are all sorts of churches for all sorts of people.